Updated: Aug 8, 2019
Imagine a time, where Pico and Rivera were two different towns and the primary source of transportation was horse-drawn buggies. The year was 1912, and the thought of bringing together these two towns was not even a consideration yet. However, what was the concern at the time was the developing of a community and improving the conditions in which the town’s people lived in.
It seems like a monumental task but one group was founded on conquering this task, the Pío Pico Woman’s Club.
Founded on April 19, 1912, the Pío Pico Woman’s Club was created by a group of town women who were concerned about their own community. Their concern for the children’s schools and the appearance of the community quickly became issues that they would tackle.
Meetings took place at the homes of members. Monthly dues at the time, a quarter. At the meetings, the members would organize and clean up and beautify parts of the town. But more importantly, it was the unsafe and unsanitary conditions at the schools in town that drew their attention. They felt the children deserved better, and were determined to ensure the children received what they deserved.
This determination continues 106 years later in the clubhouse located on Mines Avenue. Each year, the Club awards scholarships to local students. In just the last two years, the club has given $120,000 in scholarships to students in the El Rancho Unified School District. Each member of the Club works hard to ensure that enough money is raised for these scholarships and that they are presented to the hard-working students in Pico Rivera.
Hard work and dedication from the Pío Pico Woman’s Club also benefits the community as a whole. They work with the community and volunteer at City sponsored community events. Members of the Pío Pico Woman’s Club also do charity work of their own with the single goal in mind to improve the community. It’s been like this for well over 100 years and the determination doesn’t seem to be slowing down.
While the Club started out with a handful of women back in 1912, it has blossomed into one of the largest Women’s clubs in the San Gabriel Valley, and one of the largest throughout the State with over 120 active members. It’s not just a club, it’s a family. A family that is there for one another, a guaranteed shoulder to cry on, a guaranteed answer for when there is a call for help. Many of today’s members have been with the club for over 30 years, and many have created bonds with one another that will last a lifetime.
The Club motto says it all about the women who are members of the Club; Onward to Our Aim. It is a motto that all the members stand for and are inspired by. It is a motto that will carry this Club and this community for the next 100 years.
The Cub currently meets on the second Wednesday of every month at 10:00 a.m. The Pío Pico Woman’s Club House is located at 9214 Mines Avenue.