In celebration of the 60th Anniversary, a logo for Pico Rivera was developed by the Marketing and Media Division of Parks and Recreation. The design was created to reflect a modern look that was inspired by prominent buildings, businesses, and landmarks that define the City represented by silhouettes. For example, the playground represents parks around Pico Rivera, the next building shows the iconic Amini sculpture in front of the warehouse off Rex Road. Next, towards the middle is the famous classic Dal Rae sign accompanied by an adjacent palm tree. City Hall is recognizable by its glass atrium. On the far right, stands the oldest building in Pico Rivera, the Rivera First Baptist church, and lastly the tall arches of the Pico Rivera Sports Arena. The colors that were picked were chosen to reflect the color hues of the City Seal, blue and gold.
Pico Rivera hosted a City-wide employee contest to come up with the official slogan for the 60th Anniversary celebration. The criteria requirement for all submissions was five words or less, and must relate or be significant to Pico Rivera. Once the final entries were submitted, City staff came together and voted on their favorites. A few of the leading contenders were: “Small City – Big Heart”, “60 Years of Pride & Heritage”, “Pico Rivera: A Gem of a City”, and “Shining as One Since 1958”. Ultimately, “Proud Past. Prosperous Future.” made it through to the final stages and was selected as the official slogan. The slogan embodies the historical significance of the City, while looking out for what lies ahead for Pico Rivera. With the 60th Anniversary design and tagline chosen, the seal was officially approved.
Long before California was a part of the United States, a Mexican land grant was established in 1835. Known as the Rancho Paso de Bartolo, the area included parts between the San Gabriel River and Rio Hondo River. The large acres of land was the site of one of the last battles of the Mexican-American War and throughout the decades it was distributed and passed along through different owners from the San Gabriel Mission to former Governor Pío Pico. As generations passed and as California joined the Union, land was inherited and purchased by individuals that would one day have streets named after them like Oliver Perry Passons.
Pico & rivera
Named after the former Governor and its geographical location, the towns known as Pico and Rivera built their prosperity on agriculture. The soil between Rio Hondo and the San Gabriel River was the ideal site to grow oranges, avocados, and walnuts. Pico and Rivera greeted new residents and visitors when the booming railroad industry completed rail lines in the area. The Union Pacific and Santa Fe were some of the railroads that connected the State and Country to the small communities with the first train arriving in the 1880s. Agriculture and railroads invited more Americans to settle in the towns and search for their own successes. Lasting well into the early 20th century, Pico and Rivera continued to flourish and to export agriculture.
California was the picturesque way of living in a post-World War II America. Real-estate became Southern California's defining industry as land developers bought land and built on it. Cultural shifts like the opening of Disneyland and the transfer of the Dodgers would be the new Southern California for a dramatic population increase. Outside of Los Angeles, the ranches, farms, and rural areas of a time long ago had been evolving into the new concepts of suburbs, highways, and automobile culture. The barns and farms were replaced with infrastructure and new buildings. This boom built new houses for an increasing population and brought the two communities closer. During the 50s, residents circulated a petition to incorporate as one. On January 29, 1958, the new town and government was born and the public had to choose a name: Serra City or Pico Rivera.
With the advent of the Space Race, the state was becoming an aerospace center and the technology we know today was in its primitive stages. Automobiles had become a Southern California staple, turning rivers and railroads into the state highways. In the late 50's, the Ford Motor Company had an assembly plant in the heart of the city that was there until 1980. Northrop Corporation later converted the area into its aerospace facility. Parks, community sports teams, and recognizable businesses and landmarks have been a staple of Pico Rivera for generations as the population and economy has grown into the 21st century.
For the 60th anniversary of Pico Rivera, City staff partnered up with the community and businesses to share a piece of 2018, with future residents. On January 28, 2018, the City buried a time capsule entombed with artifacts of historical and modern significance that represent Pico Rivera throughout its proud and celebrated history. The City invited residents and businesses alike to contribute personal mementos that were meaningful and significant to them, but that also captured the theme of time and community, such as photographs or videos of family and friends attending City events, or 60th wedding anniversaries or birthdays. Additionally, residents were asked to come to City Hall to sign their name in a scrapbook that will be placed in the capsule.
Here is a list of items that were enclosed in the time capsule:
A proclamation by the current City Council addressed to City Council of 2058
Community autograph and messages book
Whittier Daily Newspaper of the day
A Historical Society book of Pico Rivera
Business cards of current City staff
A bronze plaque from 1958
Photos and letters from participating residents
2017 editions of the Pico Rivera Magazine
Commemorative City promos
Signed picture of the current City Council
El Rancho Dons memorabilia
Menus from Dal Rae and Steak 'N Stein, Pico Rivera's oldest restaurants
City flag signed by City staff
Visit Pico-rivera.org for a complete list of items included in the capsule
The time capsule is made of titanium alloy and approximately weighs about 250 pounds, without the enclosed items. The front and backside feature the Pico Rivera 60th Anniversary logo, along with an inscription that reads:
“COMMEMORATING 60 YEARS OF BEING A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE, WORK, AND RAISE FAMILIES. LOOKING FORWARD TO 40 MORE! TO BE OPENED IN 2058.”
Mayor Gustavo V. Camacho commenced the sealing off of the City time capsule at the Pico Rivera Historical Museum where the event was held. The public was invited to take part and witness a piece of Pico Rivera history become immortalized for future generations of the community to appreciate and reflect upon. The City hopes that when the capsule is reopened in the year 2058, in celebration of the 100th anniversary of Pico Rivera, current residents can relive the past through old photographs and cherished items, and take with them the spirit of the City into the future.
Washington Street Bridge then and now.